- If you enjoy eating steak, you may be interested in learning about the different types of steak. Since there is more than one type of steak, it is important that you learn as much as you can.
When you are preparing these steaks you need to know each one has to be prepared.
- This is because each type of steak requires a specific type of preparation.
- From cooking super thin, long, fatty cuts of skirt steak with very high heat to pan fry grilling a strip steak, the preparation and cooking techniques can be vastly different.
- With this being said, for those of you who are interested in learning how to properly cook the eye of round steak, here are some answers to specific questions that you may be interested in learning.
What is the Eye of the Round Steak and should this steak be Cooked?
Some beef steaks are much tougher to cut and chew than others. This is definitely a description of the eye of the round steak, particularly because it takes significantly more preparation to make it tender.
On the other hand, one of the best ways to begin to break this beef down is by marinating prior to cooking it. The types of marinade can make a huge difference in the tenderness of this cut of beef as well.
Therefore, here are some of the ingredients of a marinade that may be the best to use for this beef.
- Vinegar should be included in this marinade because of its acidic value that breaks down its connective tissues.
- Oil should be used for a number of reasons, including helping to seep into the meat to lock in the moisture.
- To keep the acidic flavor from the vinegar from becoming too strong, you should add little honey to the marinade for a sweetening agent. This sweetener helps to tone down the flavor the vinegar.
- To make this meat taste a lot more savory, you need to add the perfect mixture of herbs and spices.
- Once you have found the ideal mixture for a tenderizing marinade, add this mixture to the beef and allow it to sit overnight or several hours before placing it into the oven to cook.
>> You may also like: Does Costco Take EBT In 2021? All You Need to Know.<<
Where Does this steak Come from on the Cow?
The eye of round steaks comes from the hindquarter of the cow. It is described as the round primal. It is commonly known in the steak industry as 1 of the 3 round cuts that are commercially available.
You can find this part of the hind quartered located between both the bottom and the top round cuts.
How is the Portion Size Per Person?
On average, the portion size for the eye of round is about 6 to 8 oz. This is considered to be the perfect size for one portion per person.
How can you make the eye of round steak tender?
Like most people, no one really likes to fight with the beef that they eat with their teeth. Simply put, the more tender the meat, the better.
So, one of the first things that you should do is to use dry heat briefly to sear the meat. Then use wet heat to simmer the meat slowly at a low temperature.
Make sure that you are simmering a pan that is covered. By using this cooking method, you will be breaking down the connective tissues that make it too tough to chew.
>> You may also like: Do Applebees have half-price appetizers in 2021?<<
Is the eye of a round steak considered to be a good cut of steak?
The answer to this question usually varies based on what you are expecting to do with the cut of beef.
For instance, if you are expecting to grill the eye of round steak, this is not the best beef steak for these purposes.
On the other hand, if you are looking to prepare meat for a stew, an eye of round steak can be ideal.
For instance, you can have this meat cut up into ½ and 1 inch thick pieces. After this type of preparation, it adds to an enjoyable meal.
How hard is the eye of the round steak?
The eye of the round steak is described as being very tough and hard. This is because of the part of the cow that this meat actually comes from.
This meat is cut from the muscle of the cow that provides them with the capability to move and walk.
>> You may also like: Does Trader Joe’s Take EBT or SNAP Cards in 2021?<<
Can you cook an eye of round roast steak?
Yes, you can prepare a full roast with an eye of the round. And, it can be used in a variety of dishes.